Lim Ruger’s commercial litigation practice has a reputation for obtaining exceptional, cost-effective results for its clients. Our litigators were trained at the top law firms in the country and in prestigious judicial clerkships, so we know what it takes to successfully litigate high-stakes, high-profile matters. Our team includes distinguished trial attorneys who have obtained favorable verdicts in numerous jury and bench trials, which gives us a decided advantage in the pre-trial phases of litigation, including discovery and alternative dispute resolution.
Our subject matter expertise includes antitrust, business disputes and torts, corporate governance, derivative actions, insurance coverage and policy enforcement, intellectual property, real estate, securities, and unfair competition. We have litigated single and multi-party actions as well as large-scale class actions. We also have extensive experience obtaining and enforcing foreign judgments for our clients with interests abroad. Because our practice is comprehensive and integrated, all Lim Ruger attorneys with expertise relevant to a case are available to contribute as needed.
What also sets us apart is that we strive to be trusted business advisors as well as effective outside litigation counsel. Because many of our clients consider us to be an extension of their in-house legal department, we are sensitive to the business-related implications of litigation. So, whether we are representing a sole proprietorship or Fortune 500 corporation, we are uniquely positioned to craft a legal strategy addressing the client’s litigation and big-picture business objectives.
- Insurance Recovery and Policy Enforcement
- Intellectual Property
- Business Disputes and Torts
- International Arbitration
- Class Actions
- Labor and Employment
- Corporate Governance
- Products Liability
- Cross Border
- Real Estate
- Derivative Actions
- Environmental and Toxic Tort
- Foreign Judgments
- Unfair Competition and Business Practices
- Obtained a settlement of over $200 million for the class plaintiff in a securities class action against Tenet Healthcare and a $65 million settlement with the company’s auditors.
- Obtained exceedingly rare alternative writ on an appealable order for large Korean investment firm seeking recognition of $34 million Korean judgment in California.
- Obtained interim arbitration award of over $900,000 in attorneys’ fees on cross motion for summary disposition against insurance carrier who wrongfully denied duty to defend corporate policyholder based on professional services exclusion in Directors, Officers and Private Company Liability Policy for two class-action arbitrations asserting misrepresentations claims against policy holder.
- Defensed unlawful nonjudicial foreclosure, breach of contract and fraud case filed against private lender arising from plaintiff’s default of two construction loans issued for development of more than twenty single family homes in Los Angeles County.
- Defended Fortune 100 company in national class action antitrust case involving Sherman and Clayton Act claims.
- Defended the Republic of Korea in a commercial claim for over $200 million, resulting in a dismissal.
- Represented plaintiff in action involving cross-border investment fraud claims in excess of $12 million, resulting in full recovery.
- Represented foreign-country judgment creditors in actions for recognition and enforcement of judgment in California.
- Represented guarantor in action by bank for breach of guaranty, obtaining summary judgment in client’s favor based on the bank’s failure to give proper notice of sale of its collateral under Article/Division 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code, and recovering attorneys’ fees against the bank.
- Defended chemical manufacturer against claim of failure to warn of dangers in inhaling fumes from their products. California Supreme Court established the sophisticated user doctrine as a defense.
- Represented auto manufacturer in a breach of warranty case that established requirement in California that customer must present vehicle for repair at least once to dealer as a prerequisite to filling complaint.