Phillip K. Cha
1055 West Seventh Street, 28th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90017
47 Kearny Street, Suite 700
San Francisco, CA 94108
Phone: (213) 955-9500 (Ext. 155)
Fax: (213) 955-9511
Bar & Court Admissions
- California State Bar
- U.S. District Courts: Central, Eastern, and Southern Districts of California
- U.S. Court of Appeal: Ninth Circuit
- ”Workforce Restructuring in Today’s Global Economy,” presented to the International Association of Korean Lawyers, 2012
- “The Invisible (Wo)man: Unconscious Bias in the Workplace,” presented to the National Association of Women & Minority Owned Law Firms, 2015
Phillip K. Cha is a Senior Counsel in the Los Angeles office, where he specializes in representing management in labor and employment matters, including litigation, administrative proceedings, and human resources counseling.
In the litigation arena, Mr. Cha has extensive experience handling single-plaintiff and complex class actions involving discrimination, harassment, wage and hour and wrongful termination claims. He has appeared in the state and federal courts of California and before arbitration panels. Mr. Cha also has in-depth experience dealing with investigations and actions by state and federal government agencies, including the California Labor Commissioner, California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and U.S. Department of Labor.
In addition to Mr. Cha’s litigation practice, he regularly provides human resources counseling regarding a broad spectrum of personnel issues, including employee discipline, terminations, leaves of absence, wage-and-hour compliance and reductions in force. His expertise also includes providing harassment training and drafting employee handbooks. When it comes to this aspect of his practice, Mr. Cha prides himself on being able to effectively balance business and legal considerations.
Prior to joining Lim Ruger, Mr. Cha practiced in the labor and employment law department of a national law firm, where he represented numerous Fortune 500 corporations.
- Obtained summary adjudication in favor of a national retailer defending against claims of pregnancy discrimination and failure to provide accommodations, after which the remaining claims were settled on favorable terms.
- Represented global pharmaceutical company in arbitration proceedings involving alleged denial of severance benefits resulting in several arbitration awards in favor of the employer.
- Represented operating division of elite private university in obtaining a temporary restraining order and permanent injunction against former employee for workplace harassment.
- Represented international humanitarian organization in defending against employee’s age and race discrimination charges filed with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. After a formal investigation, the case was dismissed based on lack of probable cause to pursue charges.
- Represented transportation industry clients in audits by the U.S. Department of Labor relating to alleged violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act and Family Medical Leave Act.
- Performed audit of regional grocery chain’s I-9 employment verification compliance and advised client regarding best practices.
- Advised various clients regarding WARN Act obligations in connection with business closures and relocations.
- Represented global tire company in discrimination and harassment lawsuit by a former employee of a third-party vendor. Obtained dismissal of the entire action at the pleadings stage, which was later affirmed on appeal.